Setsubun, the day that demons come, was today the Feb. 3rd this year.

I had never seen Yuna got so scared.

I had never seen Yuna got so scared.

Poor Yuna was so scared that she started to put all the beans into her mouth. We stopped her to avoid choking but she cried till the demon ran away.

We threw soy beans, shouting "Demons out! Luck in!" How popular is this event? It is so popular that every pre-school in Japan would do it so as families with little kids.
As I grew up, my dad shouted aloud, throwing soy beans to unseen demons. So I never got scared with it. My discovery was that the kids at that young can still recognize what's scary.
After the event, she remembered the word of demon in Japanese, Oni. Unfortunately, it sounds similar to her favorite food, onigiri (rice ball), in which she calls "oni." So I got really confused this morning if she wanted a rice ball or was still scared of the demon.
She is recovered well and right now she says "oshimai" (I'm done with that talk) whenever we talked about the demon and shakes her hand.

Thanks, Mika, for getting the costume from your kindergarden, and being the demon of the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment